Monthly Archives: May 2014

Making a Driftwood Owl – Part 4

This gallery contains 6 photos.

The completed Tawny Owl I decided to build up the owl’s feet on top of the existing stand. I found some suitably twisted pieces of wood that could be cut to resemble claws and fixed them securely with screws. An … Continue reading

More Galleries | Comments Off

Making a Driftwood Owl – Part 3

This gallery contains 4 photos.

The wood shavings and glue had dried nicely overnight so I was able to press on with modelling the head of the owl. A neighbour kindly provided the eyes from an old box of oddments so I bedded these in … Continue reading

More Galleries | Comments Off

Making a Driftwood Owl – Part 2

This gallery contains 4 photos.

I resumed work on the driftwood owl by building up the face of the bird. I then added further pieces of driftwood to the sides and wings so that much of the shape is now in place. As I am … Continue reading

More Galleries | Comments Off

Making a Driftwood Owl – Part 1

This gallery contains 4 photos.

My driftwood sculptures are proving very popular and I was delighted to accept a commission for an owl. After careful consideration, I decided that a Tawny Owl would be the subject of my sculpture and I began sorting through my … Continue reading

More Galleries | Comments Off

Making a Driftwood Heron – Part 4

This gallery contains 7 photos.

The completed Heron Work on day 4 on the driftwood heron was concentrated on adding detail to the sculpture. The first coating of glue and wood filler had dried out well and the loose shavings were brushed out before I … Continue reading

More Galleries | Comments Off

Making a Driftwood Heron – part 3

This gallery contains 7 photos.

The first task on day 3 of the latest driftwood project was to work on some detail on the head of the heron. I found a knotted piece of wood that suggested the eye of the bird so I fitted … Continue reading

More Galleries | Comments Off

Making a Driftwood Heron – Part 2

This gallery contains 6 photos.

Work resumed on day 2 of the Heron project and the first task was to make the sculpture sturdier. A metal support was added to one of the legs and a few more screws inserted. Much of the weight is … Continue reading

More Galleries | Comments Off

Making a Driftwood Heron – part 1

This gallery contains 7 photos.

Following the driftwood horse and hare, I decided to create a driftwood heron as a feature for the ecoarts garden pond. It was a miserable wet day so beachcombing didn’t make much appeal and it was a case of going … Continue reading

More Galleries | Comments Off

Making a Driftwood Hare – part 5

This gallery contains 8 photos.

The completed Hare We missed out on any sunshine so it was back to the workbench in the studio for today’s work. My main priority was to get the feet built up after putting the framework in place yesterday. I … Continue reading

More Galleries | Comments Off

Making a Driftwood Hare – part 4

This gallery contains 7 photos.

Today was cold and overcast so work was confined to the studio. I wanted to improve the legs of the hare today. After shuffling through my stock of driftwood, I found a piece that suggested a foot or claw. This … Continue reading

More Galleries | Comments Off