It was a cold and wet start to Day 2 on the driftwood hare sculpture, meaning work started in the studio rather than outdoors. I’d much rather be working outside, even on a sculpture of this size. It is so much easier to walk around it and spread out the pieces of wood when searching for suitable pieces. The assistant in the photograph is an optional extra!
I only had the bare framework in place after the first day so the first thing to do was to strengthen the body and ears. I also put straps across the head to highlight the eyes. At this point I am thinking of leaving them as blank spaces but we’ll see how the sculpture develops.
The great thing about this sort of work is that there aren’t really any rules. It is entirely up to you how you go about the construction. At this stage of the sculpture it is fairly easy to find suitable shapes and bends in the wood but it gets more complicated as you go along. If you fix a piece and are not completely happy with it, simply remove it.
I decided to fix the front legs on to a base for the time being to add a bit more stability. The back legs are going to be more of a problem as I’m hoping to make the hare look as if it is ready to spring away. The supporting stands will probably both be removed when it is complete, although I have used pieces of driftwood just in case I decide to leave them on.
The ears had tended to align themselves yesterday but I want one of them just to be set back a little. I was able to adjust it without too much difficulty. If you keep turning the sculpture, you can see where you need to make minor alterations just to take out the straight edges. A slight curve to the neck or at the top of the legs can make a big difference to the overall impression. The sculpture always develops quite rapidly in the first couple of sessions and I should be able to work in some detail tomorrow.