The completed Horse
The Driftwood Horse is now getting very close to completion after another couple of sessions. I had had strengthened the hooves by bulking them out with a mixture of glue and shavings and this had set enough for me to file away the excess. They are now solid enough to provide a secure footing for the sculpture without detracting from the overall appearance. I have used a central support during the making of the sculpture but it now seems pretty secure without it.
I then used more of the wood and glue combination to loosely cover some of the protruding screws and secure the weakest of the joins. I don’t think that I need to be particularly thorough in this process because those that have seen it so far have asked me how it is joined together! I am still undecided about whether or not to use any kind of wood protection on it.
I quite like the different natural patterns in the wood. The various knots and blemishes all help to give the sculpture character. If I coat it with anything it will either be very thin or transparent. I am still slightly apprehensive about how the “living sculpture” will cope with the elements. So far the birds have not used it as a perch but I’m sure they will do!
The sight of a new addition to the garden did not seem to worry the ducks or the rabbits at all. The ducks just went on eating their lunch!
It has been quite a challenge working on a sculpture of this size but it has been very enjoyable. I’ve already got plans for other animals but will have to build up my collection of driftwood first. Before then, I have to finish my carving of a bear that was cast aside once I had started on the horse!